- Alain Cany began his career at Credit Commercial de France, holding various executive positions in France before working as Deputy General Manager and Head of Business Development in Hong Kong and Chief Representative in South Korea for the company.
- In 1994 he became General Manager of CCF in Hong Kong.
- He then moved to HSBC as the Head of European Business Development at the regional headquarters in Hong Kong and the President and Chief Executive Officer for HSBC Vietnam for 4 years from 2003.
- Mr. Cany has been Group Country Chairman of Jardine Matheson Vietnam since August 2007 and Chief Representative and Senior Advisor of N.M Rothschild & Sons until August 2013.
- Mr. Cany is a member of the Board of Directors of Asia Commercial Bank (ACB) and ACLEDA Bank Plc. (Cambodia).
- Mr. Cany has been Co-Chairman of the Vietnam Business Forum (VBF) 2012- 2014, representing foreign businesses.
- Mr. Cany was Chairman of Eurocham Vietnam for 7 years from 2005 - 2012.
- He holds a BA in economic sciences from the University of Paris and was awarded Chevalier de la Legion d' Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) by the President of the Republic of France in 2002 and Officer of the French National Merit Order.
- Mr. Cany was awarded a Certificate of Merit by the Prime Minister on 6 January 2011 and a Friendship Medal by the President of The Socialist Republic of Vietnam on 30 March 2011.